Award-Winning DUI Defense in Palm Beach County
Were you recently arrested for DUI in West Palm Beach or Palm Beach County? If you are looking for a knowledgeable attorney with a wealth of experience handling drunk driving defense cases, you have come to the right place. Attorney Ron D. Herman is a DUI attorney whose legal career includes being a former prosecutor and a division lead in the DUI Unit.
Today, Attorney Herman concentrates his practice on DUI and criminal defense, and he welcomes the opportunity to fight to preserve your freedom and your driver’s license!
The Top Reasons Why Attorney Herman Should Be Your First Call
- AV Preeminent® Rated by Martindale-Hubbell®
- Represented clients in over 150 jury trials
- Direct attorney involvement, your case will not be passed off to a paralegal
- Featured in the Palm Beach Post, and on Fox News and Channel 5
Florida’s DUI Penalties
In Florida, you can be convicted of Driving Under the Influence (DUI) if you drive a motor vehicle with an unlawful blood alcohol level (BAL) .08% or above.
Penalties for a first DUI offense can include:
- Between $500 and $1,000 fine (with a BAL of .015% higher or minor in the vehicle, fine between $1,000 and $2,000).
- Driver’s license revocation for 180 days to 1 year.
- DUI school
- Mandatory 50 hours of community service, or an additional fine of $10 for each hour of community service required by the court.
- Probation – not to exceed one year.
- Not more than 6 months in jail (with a BAL of .015% or higher or minor in the vehicle, up to 9 months in jail).
- Impoundment of immobilization of vehicle for 10 days, unless the defendant’s family has no other means of transportation.
DUI Diversion Programs: An Alternative To Going To Jail
Were you aware there are ways you can dismiss DUI charges? Florida offers several different DUI diversion programs designed to help certain types of DUI offenders avoid permanent marks on their record. One program includes the “DUI Pretrial Diversion” and is a great way to avoid going to trial for your DUI case. If you are eligible to attend this program and successfully complete it, your DUI case will be dismissed.
While DUI diversion programs can be more costly than other types of diversion programs, you can have your record expunged of your DUI case upon the completion of said program.
The DUI diversion program includes various steps including:
- Community Service Hours
- DUI Level 1 School
- Treatment / Counseling Recommended by the Program
- Completion of Victim Impact Class
- Random Urine Screenings
- 10 Day Vehicle Impoundment
Even though the program sounds complicated, it is worth completing. This way, you do not have DUI charges on your permanent record for employers and banks to see.
DUI Defense in West Palm Beach
While you may believe the evidence against you is incriminating, there are various DUI defenses that can be used for your case, depending on your circumstances. Many police officers pull individuals over on a hunch that they have been drinking and driving, and as a result, many DUI arrests are improperly made. If you believe your DUI arrest proceedings were completed or handled incorrectly, Attorney Ron D. Herman may be able to build a strong defense for your case.
For example, the following things can be challenged in DUI cases:
- The reason why you were stopped
- The field sobriety test administration process
- The Breathalyzer results
Since there are various ways to defend your DUI arrest, do not give up hope and plead guilty to your DUI charges. Retain an experienced West Palm Beach DUI defense lawyer today for the legal assistance and representation you deserve.
Do you have multiple DUIs?
If you are considered a repeat DUI offender in the State of Florida, you are facing incredibly harsh legal penalties. Multiple DUIs can cause you to lose your license for an extended period of time, or in severe cases, permanently. Mandatory minimum jail sentences begin with your second DUI offense if it occurs within five years of the first, which is why it is imperative you have one of the best West Palm Beach DUI defense attorneys on your side throughout the entirety of your case. If you do not have a lawyer on your side who is familiar with Florida’s multiple DUI laws, you may face incredibly harsh legal consequences.
Examples of multiple DUI penalties include the following:
- Second offense in five years- up to a year in jail and a mandatory 10 days of jail time
- Third offense within ten years of prior offense- up to one year in jail with a minimum mandatory 30 day sentence
- Fourth time offender- up to five years in jail
Those who are repeat DUI offenders can also have their licenses suspended for longer periods of time and may be required to have an ignition interlock device installed on their vehicle.
You deserve an aggressive, strategic DUI defense!
As with any criminal charges, DUI charges can be fought and there are ways to win. If you are facing DUI charges, do not make the mistake of giving up the fight. Along with a DUI conviction comes a permanent criminal record, skyrocketing insurance premiums, and possible imprisonment. At Herman Law, P.A., we understand how legal and scientific issues intersect in a DUI case, and we know how to challenge every piece of DUI evidence, and this includes cross-examining the arresting officer, and considering the possibility of police officer misconduct.
If you are being accused of DUI, we urge you to contact our West Palm Beach DUI firm for a free consultation with Attorney Herman.